[R] Repeated measures Cox regression ??coxph??

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Jul 25 23:45:52 CEST 2013

On Jul 25, 2013, at 12:27 PM, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2013, at 2:11 PM, John Sorkin <jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu> wrote:
>
>> Colleagues,
>> Is there any R package that will allow one to perform a repeated measures Cox Proportional Hazards regression? I don't think coxph is set up to handle this type of problem, but I would be happy to know that I am not correct.
>> I am doing a study of time to hip joint replacement. As each person has two hips, a given person can appear in the dataset twice, once for the left hip and once for the right hip, and I need to account for the correlation of data from a single individual.
>> Thank you,
>> John
>

> John,
>
> See Terry's 'coxme' package:
>
>  http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/coxme/index.html

When I looked over the description of coxme, I was concerned it was not really designed with this in mind. Looking at Therneau and Grambsch, I thought section 8.4.2 in the 'Multiple Events per Subject' Chapter fit the analysis question well. There they compared the use of coxph( ...+cluster(ID),,...)  withcoxph( ...+strata(ID),,...). Unfortunately I could not tell for sure which one was being described as superio but I think it was the cluster() alternative. I seem to remember there are discussions in the archives.

--
David.