[R] Does R ever stop responding without a message?

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Mon Jul 15 18:34:25 CEST 2013

It is a (very) large marked point process object that is being split (see
original post), and that is some other kind of structure. So I think all
bets are off, in terms of what kind of duration to expect.

The folks on r-sig-geo might be able to help with suggestions for faster
approaches.

In terms of monitoring the process, I have a couple of suggestions.

The first is to turn on profiling (see ?Rprof). Unless things changed in R
3.x.x, Rprof writes to a file as it profiles, and one could watch the file
grow to determine that processing is still taking place. Admittedly, it's
a cheap trick, and runs the risk of slowing the process, especially if the
profile file gets big.

The other is to do the split manually with a loop. This way, one could
insert cat() statements to track the progress. This is probably what I
would do first. Indeed, one could also write timestamps and track the rate
at which splitting is taking place (i.e., is it getting slower and slower).

-Don

--
Don MacQueen

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory