[R] Sparse matrix no longer sparse (Matrix Package)

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Thu Jul 11 17:35:44 CEST 2013

Thank you, John. I originally used dput() but the output is huge. However, here is a reproducible example of what I think very unexpected behavior of some matrix functions.

> ### Create a symmetric matrix of class dsCMatrix
> A <- as(diag(5, 10), 'dsCMatrix')
> A[1, 5] <- A[5,1] <- 2
>
> ### Create a diagonal matrix of class ddi
> D <- Diagonal(10, 1)
>
> ### This works as it should
> aa <- Cholesky(A %*% D)
>
> ### Now, let's only change one element of D to be non-integer
> D[1] <- 1.5
>
> ### AD is still symmetric, but here the Cholesky function complains that it is not
> aa <- Cholesky(A %*% D)
Error in Cholesky(as(A, "symmetricMatrix"), perm = perm, LDL = LDL, super = super,  :
  error in evaluating the argument 'A' in selecting a method for function 'Cholesky': Error in asMethod(object) :
  not a symmetric matrix; consider forceSymmetric() or symmpart()

### For fun try this

> L <- update(aa, as(A %*% D, 'symmetricMatrix'))
Error in asMethod(object) :
  not a symmetric matrix; consider forceSymmetric() or symmpart()

### This does indeed work, but should I need to implement this step?

Cholesky(forceSymmetric(A %*% D))

So, there is something about changing the elements of a ddi matrix that causes subsequent problems. Is there a good reason this occurs and something I should be doing differently, or is this a bug?

Thanks