[R] Error when building a custom package

cvo cvo at delta.dk
Thu Jul 4 18:12:50 CEST 2013

Hi

I'm have trouble building a custom package in R. Building the package on my
colleagues computer (who made the R code content) has been (and is still)
working fine for a long time, but I simply can't duplicate the setup right
somehow (even with his help)

I have installed the same versions of software as my colleague: Windows 7, R
2.13.1 (with the required additional packages), Rtools 2.13, Miktex 2.9. All
of which are included in the Windows PATH variable as instructed by him (and
in various online tutorials)

I only get an error message, when trying to build a binary file (or runnning
/R CMD check <package name>/), not the standard tar.gz. Here is what the
output looks like in the command prompt:
/  * installing *source* package 'slo' ...
  ** R
  ** inst
  ** preparing package for lazy loading
  Warning: package 'car' was built under R version 2.13.2
  Creating a new generic function for "plot" in "slo"
  Error in file(file, "r", encoding = encoding) :
    cannot open the connection
  ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'slo'
  * removing 'C:/Users/CVO/workspace/slo.Rcheck/slo'/

These are the lines which follow, when my colleague run the build
successfully:
/Creating a new generic function for "plot" in "slo" in ".GlobalEnv"
** help
/
I have tried following a tutorial to see if the trouble was with building
packages in general, but that does not seem to be the case, as I could get
the same outputs as described in this tutorial:
http://stevemosher.wordpress.com/ten-steps-to-building-an-r-package-under-windows/
<http://stevemosher.wordpress.com/ten-steps-to-building-an-r-package-under-windows/>
(which builds a simple package using the skeleton package).

I have gotten the impression that generally the error with the  "Error in
file..." is a problem with a wrong path or problems with permissions, but am
unable to find a solution. I'm running the commands in the Command prompt
with Administrator rights and have Admin right on the computer.

Any suggestions on how I can solve this issue or simply get more detailed
information about the error will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Christer V., DK