[R] Meta-analysis on a repeated measures design with multiple trials per subject using metafor

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Jul 4 23:21:46 CEST 2013

Dear Marc,

Let me see if I understand the type of data you have. You say that you have 5 experiments. And within each experiment, you have n subjects and for each subject, you have data in the form described in your post. Now for each subject, you want to calculate some kind of measure that quantifies how much more likely it was that subjects gave/chose response 2 under treatment 2 versus treatment 1. So, you would have n such values. And then you want to pool those values over the n subjects within a particular experiment and then ultimately over the 5 experiments. Is that correct so far?

Assuming I got this right, let me ask you about those data that you have for each subject. In particular, are these paired data? In other words, is there are 1:1 relationship between the 30 trials under treatment 1 versus treatment 2? Or phrased yet another way, can you construct a table like this for every subject:

                trt 2
             ------------
             resp1 resp2
trt 1 resp1  a     b      10
      resp2  c     d      20
             20    10     30

Note that I added the marginal counts based on your example data, but this is not sufficient to reconstruct how often response 1 was chosen for the same trial under both treatment 1 and treatment 2 (cell "a"). And so on for the other 3 cells.

If all of this applies, then essentially you are dealing with dependent proportions and you can calculate the difference y = (20/30)-(10/30) as you have done. The corresponding sampling variance can be estimated with v = var(y) = (a+b)*(c+d)/t^3 + (a+c)*(b+d)/t^3 - 2*(a*d/t^3 - b*c/t^3) (where t is the number of trials, i.e., 30 in the example above). See, for example, section 10.1.1. in Agresti (2002) (Categorical data analysis, 2nd ed.).

So, ultimately, you will have n values of y and v for a particular experiment and then the same thing for all 5 experiments. You can then pool those values with rma(yi, vi) in metafor (yi and vi being the vectors of the y and v values). You probably want to add a factor to the model that indicates which experiment those values came from. So, something like: rma(yi, vi, mods = ~ factor(experiment)).

Well, I hope that I understood your data correctly.

Best,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician
Department of Psychiatry and Psychology