[R] Why are the number of coefficients varying? [mgcv][gam]
andrewcd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 01:20:43 CET 2013
Thanks for replying.
On further investigation, I can't reproduce this error on my local
machine -- it only occurs when sending to a cluster (to run the multiple
imputations in parallel) that I've got access to. I send to a friend's
web server, and I get the same sort of error (but a different set of
results!) that the cluster gave me. The seed is set identically across
the three machines. gam.check indicates convergence after 16 iterations
locally, but 21 iterations on both remote machines. And both remote
machines give results that penalize the random effects, and the first,
second and fourth spline terms effectively to zero (res.df ~1e-7).
I then checked versions. My local machine has mgcv 1.7.22, the cluster
has 1.7.3, and the server has 1.7.12. My local machine has R 2.15.1,
the cluster has 2.12.2, and the server has 2.14.1. I updated the
server's R version, and the result was fixed. Will see if the people
who manage the cluster can update the cluster.
The tryCatch is there because my imputation models that feed the gams
are not bug-free.
Thanks anyway for replying.
More information about the R-help