[R] read.csv quotes within fields

Tim Howard tghoward at gw.dec.state.ny.us
Sat Jan 26 16:32:07 CET 2013

Duncan,
Good point - I guess I am expecting too much. I'll work on a global replace before import or chopping with strsplit while importing.

FYI everyone - these folks with the non-standard csv are the US Feds:
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/public/publicAction.jsp?action=showCaseDownloadForm

(see off-airport AEA 2005 for a csv with issues.)

Thank you for the help. I really do appreciate the suggested solutions.
Also, thanks to John Kane for the link to csvEdit.

Tim

On 13-01-25 4:37 PM, Tim Howard wrote:
> David,
> Thank you again for the reply. I'll try to make readLines() and strplit() work.  What bugs me is that I think it would import fine if the folks who created the csv had used double quotes "" rather than an escaped quote \" for those pesky internal quotes. Since that's the case, I'd think there would be a solution within read.csv() ... or perhaps scan()?, I just can't figure it out.

What you say doesn't make sense.  Let me paraphrase:

"The folks who sent me the data created a weird, non-standard .csv file.
  You'd think read.csv() could handle it."

The standard way to handle quotes in strings is to double them.  They
didn't, so you've got a weird file on your hands.

You can probably fix it by doing a global substitution of all "backslash
doublequote" pairs with "doublequote doublequote".  Unless they have
some "backslash backslash doublequote" triples that they want you to
interpret as "backslash doublequote".  Or some other weirdness.

I'd suggest you try the global subst mentioned above. or ask them for
data in a reasonably standardized format.

Duncan Murdoch