[R] resizing data

arun smartpink111 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 23:49:39 CET 2013

which(x==1,arr.ind=TRUE)
       row col
#[1,] 10000   7
 y<-t(matrix(x,nrow=546))
 which(y==1,arr.ind=TRUE)
#     row col
#[1,] 341 328
A.K.

----- Original Message -----
From: emorway <emorway at usgs.gov>
To: r-help at r-project.org
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 5:29 PM
Subject: Re: [R] resizing data

I played around with your example on the smaller dataset, and it seemed like
it was doing what I wanted.  However, applying it to the larger problem, I
didn't  get a resized 2D dataset that preserved the order I was hoping for.
Hopefully the following illustrates the larger problem:

x<-matrix(0,nrow=29328,ncol=7)

# Now set the 70,000th element to 1 to find out where it ends up?
# Iterating on columns first, then rows, the 70,000th element is
# at index [10000,7]

x[10000,7]<-1
y<-t(matrix(x,nrow=546))
dim(y)
# [1] 376 546

# Does 1 appear at index [129,112] as I expect
# (128 complete rows x 546 cols = 69888 + 112 = 70,000) thus, row 129, col
112
y[129,112]
# [1] 0

# No, so where is it?