[R] how to read a website with Chinese Character

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 03:15:48 CET 2013

On 13-01-23 8:19 PM, Hui Du wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am planning to parse some information on a website which includes lots of Chinese characters. Does someone know how to read/display Chinese in R? Thanks.
>

> url = "http://www.teec.org.cn/html/renwujieshao/"
> x = readLines(url)

If you look at the first few lines of x you'll see this:

 > head(x)
[1] "<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
Transitional//EN\"\t\"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd\">"
[2] "<html xmlns=\"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml\">"

[3] "<head>"

[4] "<meta http-equiv=\"Content-Type\" content=\"text/html;
charset=gb2312\" />"

At the end of line 4 it shows "charset=gb2312".  I didn't think that was
an encoding, but this seems to do the conversion:

y <- iconv(x, "gb2312", "utf-8")

(I don't know if that will display properly on your Windows machine; it
doesn't work on mine, because I don't have the fonts installed.  But it
does work on my Mac.)

Duncan Murdoch