[R] how to use "..."

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Jan 21 00:23:51 CET 2013

On Jan 20, 2013, at 11:46 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 13-01-20 2:28 PM, Steve Taylor wrote:
>>> From: Duncan Murdoch
>>> Maybe we just need a manual on how to use the existing help
>>> system.  But
>>> I suspect people who won't read the existing manuals won't read that
>>> one, either.
>>
>> Duncan, I assume you're being facetious.  Every R user soon learns
>> to use help() and help.search() or their equivalents.  We don't
>> need a manual to teach that.
>
> There are other parts of the help system that you don't appear to
> know about.  Run help.start() for the main index page.  help() is
> kind of a shortcut to the section labelled "Packages".
> help.search() gets you to "Search Engine & Keywords".  There are 15
> other headings to explore as well.

help.search("...")

On my Mac after a very long wait it appears I get all of the functions
in every installed package that have a three-dots argument in their
argument list displayed in the Usage sections. That does not seem very
"help"-ful. I tried limiting with keyword="programming", that did not
appear effective. I wasn't able to figure out from the
help(help.search) page what I need to do to constrict to non-Usage
matches yet expand to items linked from the help.start() page.

If I just search with a browser for "..." in "Introduction to R" I get
what I consider to be useful material.

--
David.