[R] how to use "..."

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jan 18 06:21:25 CET 2013

On Jan 17, 2013, at 7:00 PM, John Sorkin wrote:

> Rolf
> Perhaps the philosophy of the help system needs to change . . .
> John

It's probably unwise to accept any one person's claim regarding the
"philosophy of the help system". If you have the time, energy and
skills to construct a help page for "..." then I would inquire on the
r-devel mailing list whether such a submission would be considered.
After looking at the help page for "+" I think it needs at the very
least a reference to both the ?"formula" page (since that is a core
part of hte language) and alos suggest it should describe  the
overloadings of "+" in the lattice and ggplot2 packages. I think it's
too much to expect users to know that "is an S4 generic" implies a
wide variety of potential meanings. I think those oft-used examples of
such meanings ought to be mentioned.

--
David.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 17, 2013, at 7:11 PM, "Rolf Turner <rolf.turner at xtra.co.nz>" <rolf.turner at xtra.co.nz
> > wrote:
>

>> The "help" facility is applicable to functions and data sets.  It
>> is not
>> designed
>> or intended to give "help" with respect to R syntax (with the
>> exception of
>> the basic syntax of the operators --- unary and binary --- and the
>> associated
>> rules of precedence).
>>
>>    cheers,
>>
>>        Rolf Turner
>>
>> On 01/18/2013 09:17 AM, Steve Taylor wrote:
>>> The ellipsis object is not listed in the base help pages!
>>>
>>> help(`+`) # this works - help on arithmetic operators
>>> help("+") # also works
>>> help(`...`) # fails with Error: '...' used in an incorrect context