[R] equivalent code that doesn't return same results?

cwladis cwladis at bmcc.cuny.edu
Thu Jan 17 16:22:46 CET 2013

William Dunlap wrote
>>> eval(parse(text=paste("dataset",IVcat[k],sep="$")))<-relevel(eval(parse(text=paste("dataset",IVcat[k],sep="$"))),ref="online")
>>This code returns the following error:
>>Error in eval(parse(text = paste("dataset", IVcat[k], sep = "$"))) <-
>>relevel(eval(parse(text = paste("dataset",  :
>>  target of assignment expands to non-language object
>
> Replace
>     eval(parse(text=paste("dataset", IVcat[k], sep="$")))
> with
>     dataset[[ IVcat[k] ]]
> everywhere.

Thanks so much for the response, Bill - this was very helpful.  I feel silly
for not thinking of this myself - I had originally started with this
approach, but abandoned it because for some inexplicable reason it seemed to
call the wrong dataset column (which it did again when I substituted your
code for mine).  However, I figured out a modification that did work:
apparently I needed to convert the output of IVcat[k] to a string, like
this, and then the code ran fine:

dataset[[ toString(IVcat[k]) ]]

Thanks again!