[R] How to change levels?

paladini paladini at beuth-hochschule.de
Wed Jan 16 10:56:26 CET 2013

Hello!
I have got a dataframe with 10 columns and 100 rows. The seventh column
consists of a lot of country names.
When I use newdata=subset(data, data[, 7]=="United Kingdom"|data[,
7]=="Germany") I get just the rows where the country name is UK or
Germany.
But the level information doesn`t change. That means if I use
levels(newdata[,7]), I get:

  [1] "Austria"                  "Belgium"
  [3] "Denmark"                  "Finland"
  [5] "France"                   "Germany"
  [7] "Spain"                    "Sweden"
  [9] "Switzerland"              "The Netherlands"
  [11] "United Kingdom"           "United States of America"
That leads to problems in the further data processing .

How can I change the level information to the real levels of newdata?

Thanking you in anticipation

Claudia