[R] How to fit a linear model to data by minimizing the mean absolute percent error?

Andre Cesta aacesta at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 19:04:19 CET 2013

Hi Bert,

Thanks for your reply.

Your recommendation seems to minimize the error transformed with log, but not the percent error, that is, the model error divided by the observed value (for each observation).

I need to minimize the percent error.

With log, there could be a very large observation, with a very large error and even with log it would be larger than other errors and have more influence in the regression.  But if I take the percent error to minimize, this observation with large error would not have a larger influence.

Best regards, André