[R] locating element in distance matrix

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Fri Jan 11 22:51:29 CET 2013

If you have a dist object (created by dist()) or if you used lower.tri(x) to
extract the lower triangle of the matrix, which() will not work since the
matrix is now stored as a numeric vector with n(n-1)/2 elements where n is
the number of rows/columns. In that case you must compute the original
row/column values from the position along the vector:

> dwhich <- function(d, indx) {
+     i <- round((1+sqrt(1+8*length(d)))/2, 0)
+     rowd <- unlist(sapply(2:i, function(x) x:i))
+     cold <- rep(1:(i-1), (i-1):1)
+     return(data.frame(indx=indx, row=rowd[indx], col=cold[indx]))
+ }
> set.seed(42)
> x <- matrix(rnorm(100), 10, 10)
> d <- dist(x)
> dm <- as.matrix(dist(x, diag=TRUE, upper=TRUE))
> dm <- dm[lower.tri(dm)]
> dwhich(d, which(d==min(d)))
  indx row col
1    9  10   1