[R] update.packages problem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jan 9 14:11:13 CET 2013

On 09/01/2013 12:52, Terry Therneau wrote:
> I've updated to R-devel on my development machine and have lots of
> packages.  The update.packages() script ends up with 33 failures, all
> due to out-of-order reloading. That is, if package "abc" depends on
> package "xyz", then the reinstall of abc fails with a message that
> version of xyz is "built before R 3.0.0: please re-install it".
>
> So I ran it a second time, and got 32 failures.  There should be a
> better way.

There is, on the help page!

checkBuilt: If ‘TRUE’, a package built under an earlier minor version
           of R is considered to be ‘old’.

As the NEWS file says, right at the top

       Packages need to have been installed under this version of R.
       (Pro tem, this is considered to be R-devel from April 2012.)

so my guess is that 'xyz' was not even installed under R-devel but 2.15.x.

We don't usually discuss development versions of R on R-help.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk