[R] Changing mtext direction, or using text for the margin?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Jan 7 19:35:54 CET 2013

On Jan 7, 2013, at 8:06 AM, Michael Rennie wrote:

> Any thoughts on what that dirty hack might be or any leads on where
> to start? Perhaps a whole new plot region in the margin or
> something? Is that even possible? I'm having a difficult time
> imagining how I can do this.

The `text` function accepts the 'xpd' argument for `par`.

?par
?text

(Similar but not exactly the same as R-FAQ "7.27 How can I create
rotated axis labels?")

I'm not sure what sort of "dirt" Uwe was expecting, but I'm guessing
he meant that you probably were not going to be getting exactly what
you wanted with the first attempt and were going to need to adjust the
locations "by hand" after digging around in the par documentation.

--
David.
> Mike
>
> Uwe Ligges wrote:
>>

>> On 07.01.2013 07:00, Michael Rennie wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have read through the archives, but can't find a solution to this
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> I need the text direction on "dependent B", plotted in margin 4,
>>> to go
>>> top to bottom (opposite what it is now). Here's some sample code:
>>>
>>> #plot with mtext example
>>>
>>> par(mgp = c(2,1,0), mfrow=c(2,2), las=1, mar=c(2,2,2,2), omi=
>>> c(0.5,0.2,0,0.2))
>>>
>>> a<-1:10
>>> b<-7:16
>>> c<-21:30
>>>
>>> plot(a~b, ylab="", xlab="", xaxt="n")
>>> axis(1, at=b, labels=FALSE, tick=TRUE)
>>> plot(c~b, ylab="", xlab="", xaxt="n", yaxt="n")
>>> axis(1, at=b, labels=FALSE, tick=TRUE)
>>> axis(4, at=c(22,24,26,28,30), labels=TRUE, tick=TRUE)
>>> plot(a~b, ylab="")
>>> plot(c~b, ylab="", yaxt="n")
>>> axis(4, at=c(22,24,26,28,30), labels=TRUE, tick=TRUE)
>>>
>>> mtext(side=1, "independent", outer=TRUE, line=1, padj=1)
>>> mtext(side=2, "dependent A", las=0, outer=TRUE, line=0.25)