[R] plm random effect: the estimated variance of the individual effect is negative

Millo Giovanni Giovanni_Millo at Generali.com
Fri Jan 4 16:26:01 CET 2013

Matteo,

I fully agree with David: please read the posting guide.

Anyway, the error message says it all: "the estimated variance of the
individual effect is negative". See e.g. the "basic panel" chapter (10
or 11) in Wooldridge's "Econometric Analysis of XS and Panel Data" to
understand why this may happen.

Stata's behaviour is (as far as I remember) to transparently substitute
it with 0; 'plm's is to let the estimation fail, issuing a warning. You
can try a different 'random.method' which may, or might not, solve the
problem, depending on your data.

Hint: a random effects model with sigma_mu=0 is a pooling model.

HTH

Giovanni Millo, PhD
Research Dept.,
Assicurazioni Generali SpA