[R] R and SSH / exchange R objects between client and server

Martin Batholdy batholdy at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 1 20:42:25 CET 2013

Hi,

I have a laptop (Mac OS) and a remote PC (Ubuntu) and would like to do the heavy work on the remote machine but control it via the laptop.
I managed to install ssh server and can now remotely connect to my PC via ssh and can start an R session in the terminal.

However, I still don't quite understand how I can now "exchange" R objects.

I have the raw data I want to read and analyse on my laptop.
So I need to read the files on the laptop and 'send' the r object to the remote PC.
The remote PC should then do the heavy calculations and send back the result data frames, so that I can export/save the result tables on my laptop.

Is this even possible with ssh (send R objects from client to server and vice versa)?

Are there R packages who help to establish ssh connections?
Can I also connect to the server via the R gui?

thanks for any suggestions and tips!