[R] total indirect effects in structural equation modeling using lavaan

yrosseel yrosseel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 09:02:19 CET 2013

On 02/21/2013 03:59 PM, Marios wrote:
> My question.......I would like to calculate the total indirect effects of
> all variables on the right-hand-side of the regression eqn's so that i can
> work out the total effect (indirect effects + direct effect)
>
> I know the direct effect and i can calculate the total indirect effects by
> hand but i was wondering if there is a function that can calculate this?

In the current version of lavaan (0.5-11), there is no function that
will compute all possible indirect/total effects automatically.

What you can do is to label the coefficients, and then use the ':='
operator to define the total/indirect effects that you are interested
in. Next, you could use se="boot" to get a bootstrap based SE.

See the lavaan paper (http://www.jstatsoft.org/v48/i02/) section 7.4 for
an example.

Yves.