[R] NLS results different from Excel -- Tricky fortunes nomination

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Wed Feb 20 18:50:09 CET 2013

Folks:

I thought the following excerpt from Bruce McCullough's post would be
a good candidate for the R fortunes package -- except that it's about
Excel, not R!  So I nominate it... but leave it to others to say
whether it's really "qualified" to be nominated.

----
"The idea that the Excel solver "has a good reputation for being fast
and accurate" does not withstand an examination  of the Excel solver's
ability to solve the StRD nls test problems. ...
Excel solver does have the virtue that it will always produce an
answer, albeit one with zero accurate digits."
---

I also leave it to others to modify what is excerpted if appropriate.

Cheers,
Bert