[R] Cramer von Mises test for a discrete distribution

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Feb 20 13:36:11 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Santiago Guallar <sguallar at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks Barry,
>
> Following your list order
> 1) It pops up a window saying R for windows GUI front-end crashed. Below
> three options: look for on-line solutions; shut down the program; debug the
> program (I'm translating from Spanish)

 That's good - often people say "crash" when all they have seen is a
"stop" from R.

> 2) The processor of my laptop is an Intel Core duo 1,60GHz with ram= 4 GB,
> 32 bits. The R version I have installed is 2.15.2 (2012-10-26)

 Nicely up to date...

> 3) I read the posting-guide. Ok, it may be basic statistics. Question
> withdrawn

 Oh don't do that! You're not asking how to do basic statistics, you
are trying to do it yourself and getting a crash. Fair question for
starters...

> I made an additional mistake: I attached the wrong files. Please run the
> code with these, and you'll see the problem.

 Will I, will I, will I....

> ct1 = cvmts.test(prm, prpmr) # here R crashes

 *** caught segfault ***
address 0x5620e458, cause 'memory not mapped'

Traceback:
 1: .C("CvMTestStat", as.double(x), as.integer(length(x)),
as.double(y),     as.integer(length(y)), testscore = double(1))
 2: cvmts.test(prm, prpmr)

Possible actions:
1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
2: normal R exit
3: exit R without saving workspace
4: exit R saving workspace
Selection:

Yes! This looks like a bug in that package function, a bit of
investigation seems to blame it on when you have repeated values in
the vectors:

> cvmts.test(1:10,1:10)
[1] 0.025
> cvmts.test(rep(1,10),rep(1,10))
[1] 0.955
> cvmts.test(rep(1,10),rep(2,10))

 *** caught segfault ***
address 0x514daba8, cause 'memory not mapped'

Traceback:
 1: .C("CvMTestStat", as.double(x), as.integer(length(x)),
as.double(y),     as.integer(length(y)), testscore = double(1))
 2: cvmts.test(rep(1, 10), rep(2, 10))

Possible actions:
1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
2: normal R exit
3: exit R without saving workspace
4: exit R saving workspace

Functions shouldn't crash like this - so time for you to email the maintainer:

> packageDescription("CvM2SL2Test")$Maintainer
[1] "Yuanhui Xiao <yxiao at gsu.edu>"

The function disappears into C code, but I suspect its dividing by
zero somewhere...

Barry