[R] Problems with line types in plots saved as PDF files

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Feb 20 05:22:13 CET 2013

On Feb 19, 2013, at 7:40 PM, Ista Zahn wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Ian Renner <ian_renner at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ista,
>>
>> I'm using Adobe Reader XI. It's good to hear that the plot was produced
>> correctly and that it is Adobe that is failing to represent it properly.
>
> Right, well I just installed acroread (adobe reader for linux) and I
> do see the problem you originally described. So all is not well,
> unless you convince people not to use Adobe reader to view the
> document. Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment, as I'm headed
> to bed. If no one else beats me to it I'll take another look in the
> morning.

Just for the record the Apple pdf viewer, Preview.app, displays it as described: two solid lines, two dashed lines and one dotted line.

--
David.

> Best,
> Ista
>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Ian
>>
>> ________________________________

>>> a.1 = -12
>>> a.2 = 0
>>> a.3 = 200
>>>
>>> b = seq(-10, 10, 0.0002)
>>> l = a.1*(b - b.hat)^2 + a.2*(b - b.hat) + a.3
>>>
>>> lambda = 20
>>>
>>> p = -lambda*abs(b)
>>>
>>> pen.like = l + p
>>>
>>> y.min = 3*min(p)
>>> y.max = max(c(l, p, pen.like))
>>>
>>> #pdf(file = "TestPlot.pdf", 6, 6)
>>> #{
>>> plot(b, l, type = "l", ylim = c(y.min, y.max), lwd = 2, xlab =
>>> expression(beta), ylab = "", col = "green", yaxt = "n", xaxt = "n")
>>> points(b, p, type = "l", lty = "dotted", lwd = 2, col = "red")
>>> points(b, pen.like, type = "l", lwd = 2, lty = "dashed", col = "green")
>>>
>>> axis(1, at = c(0))
>>> axis(2, at = c(0))
>>>
>>> lambda.hat = which.max(pen.like)
>>> lambda.glm = which(b == b.hat)
>>>
>>> points(b[lambda.glm], l[lambda.glm], pch = 16, cex = 1.5)
>>> points(b[lambda.hat], l[lambda.hat], pch = 17, cex = 1.5)
>>>
>>> b.hat = -3
>>> a.1 = -1.5
>>> a.2 = 0