[R] Looking for an easy way to change the names of a vector

Christofer Bogaso bogaso.christofer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 12:43:25 CET 2013

Hello again,

Let say I have following vector (this is basically a snap of very large vector):

Data <- 1:8
names(Data) <- c("ada", "fsdfs", "asd fd", "asdsa", "dsada", "asasad",
"adas asdad", "aasaa")
Data

Now I want to change the names according to following rule:

1. If there is any space then replace that space by "-"
2. Otherwise add "-XXX" at the last to each name

Therefore the names will be:

c("ada-XXX", "fsdfs-XXX", "asd-fd", "asdsa-XXX", "dsada-XXX",
"asasad-XXX", "adas-asdad", "aasaa-XXX")

Can somebody point me some direct way for that?

Thanks for your help