[R] Revolutions blog: January roundup

David Smith david at revolutionanalytics.com
Mon Feb 11 23:33:48 CET 2013

I write about R every weekday at the Revolutions blog:
 http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com
and every month I post a summary of articles from the previous month
of particular interest to readers of r-help.

In case you missed them, here are some articles related to R from the
month of January:

Anthony Damico created an amusing and useful flowchart for finding
resources for learning R, especially for survey analysis:
http://bit.ly/11Cdrd9

All R users: please be counted for the 2013 Rexer Data Miner Survey (R
was the #1 software reported in the last survey):
http://bit.ly/11CdoOv

Relatedly, Joe Rickert will give a free webinar on February 14,
"Introduction to R for Data Mining": http://bit.ly/11CdoOu

I'll be talking about R in Santa Clara at the O'Rielly Strata
Conference: http://bit.ly/11Cdrdb

An analysis of American football kicking data with R shows how the
probability of making an NFL field goal diminishes with distance:
http://bit.ly/11CdoOt

A video replay of Jeffrey Breen's webinar, "Using R with Hadoop":
http://bit.ly/11Cdrda

The votamatic.org website, which correctly predicted the outcome of
the US presidential election, was created using R by Drew Linzer:
http://bit.ly/11Cdrdc

An R chart shows the rise of life expectancy in the US against the
falling retirement age: http://bit.ly/11CdoOy

Noam Ross shares some useful tips for sharing and collaboration with
R: http://bit.ly/11Cdrts

A Forbes article argues that Data Science is a management fad; I say
it's just the opposite, and the R language is a key reason:
http://bit.ly/11Cdrtr

Hadley Wickham's guide to functions in R, with background on function
elements, scoping rules and argument assignment: http://bit.ly/11Cdp4M

My podcast with DataInformed on the history with R and the changing
technology landscape for predictive modeling: http://bit.ly/11CdoOz

JJ Allaire has created a gallery of examples of the Rcpp package in
action: http://bit.ly/11Cdrtv

The latest version of Mathematica features an R connection:
http://bit.ly/11Cdrtw

O'Reilly's Ed Dumbill cites R as part of "data computing", one of his
four D's of the future of programming: http://bit.ly/11Cdp4N

If you haven't yet read "Elements of Statistical Learning" or used the
many R packages it mentions, you can download a PDF from the authors:
http://bit.ly/11Cdrty

Keynote speakers for R/Finance 2013 have been announced, and the call
for papers is open: http://bit.ly/11Cdrtx

Duncan Murdoch used his rgl package to create a real-world 3-D
sculpture for $22: http://bit.ly/11Cdp4O

Sean Taylor on what your choice of statistics software says about you:
"[R] is not causing you to be a better scientist, but better
scientists will be using it." http://bit.ly/11Cdp4Q

A preview of R version 3, scheduled for this April: http://bit.ly/11Cdp4R

Some non-R stories in the past month included: "Losing My Religion" in
a major key sounds hopeful (http://bit.ly/11Cdp4P), an engrossing tour
of the International Space Station (http://bit.ly/11CdrtA), a useful
data visualization based on the Tube map (http://bit.ly/11Cdrtz), Nate
Silver reveals his software choices on Reddit (http://bit.ly/11CdrtB),
dumb ways to die (http://bit.ly/11Cdp4S), why you should say "Data is"
and not "Data are" (http://bit.ly/11CdrtC), and some tips on getting
started with Data Science (http://bit.ly/11CdrtD).

There are new R user groups in Edmonton, Manila, San Francisco,
Auckland, Manchester and Munich (http://bit.ly/11Cdp4T). Meeting times
for local R user groups (http://bit.ly/eC5YQe) can be found on the
updated R Community Calendar at: http://bit.ly/bb3naW

If you're looking for more articles about R, you can find summaries
from previous months at http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/roundups/.
Join the Revolution mailing list at
http://revolutionanalytics.com/newsletter to be alerted to new
articles on a monthly basis.

As always, thanks for the comments and please keep sending suggestions
to me at david at revolutionanalytics.com . Don't forget you can also
follow the blog using an RSS reader like Google Reader, or by
following me on Twitter (I'm @revodavid).

Cheers,
# David

--