[R] BRugs Error

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 11 07:36:01 CET 2013

On 10/02/13 21:43, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2013, at 12:28 PM, Uwe Ligges wrote:
>

>> On 10.02.2013 21:18, Paul Ossenbruggen wrote:
>>>     I installed XCode, XQuartz and OpenBUGS on my Mac using WINE.
>>> When I tried to test my installation I received the following error.
>>>
>>>     If correct, BRugs does not exist for R 2.15.1.
>>>
>>>     Is there a means to get arrange this problem?
>>
>> Please install BRugs from sources, a Mac binary is not available on CRAN.
>>

> If he is doing this with WINE doesn't he need a Windows version.

Of what?

In theory BRugs on Mac OS X could talk to OpenBUGS running the latter
under WINE.  Except on 32-bit Windows, BRugs works by running a helper
executable that is linked to OpenBUGS.  So that helper would need to be
compiled under Windows and be run through WINE.  Just installing BRugs
from the sources on OS X would not achieve that: you would need to build
BugsHelper under Windows (possibly via WINE) and alter the BRugs sources
to run it via WINE.

As others have said on R-sig-mac, it would be almost certainly be
simpler to modify your task to run using JAGS via rjags, and most likely
simpler to run BRugs under R for Windows using a Windows emulator (WINE
might suffice).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk