[R] R for Windows 32-bit mode versus 64-bit mode

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 7 08:55:04 CET 2013

On 06/02/2013 22:47, Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> We are developing (actually updating) a piece of code that runs in
> R.
Due to some limitations of some the libraries we use, at the present
time we would be limited to the 32-bit version of R on Windows. Does
anyone have a feel (or even real knowledge) if most people these days
run R on Windows in 32-bit or 64-bit mode? This would affect some
development decisions.

'Most people' is maybe not the right question.

A very high proportion of serious users run 64-bit Windows and 64-bit R
on that. But there are still many old computer labs in Universities all
over the world used by very many students, and companies still using XP
(which is 32-bit only: the so-called 64-bit XP was internally Server 2003).

OTOH, the standard install has both 32- and 64-bit versions of R on
64-bit Windows so almost all users would have the option to start 32-bit R.

As an aside, the Mac situation is changing: OS X has been a 64-bit OS
for ca 5 years now and it is likely that CRAN binaries for 3.0.0 will be
64-bit only there.