[R] Question: write an R script with help information available to the user

Sun Feb 3 06:39:19 CET 2013

The normal expectations of an R user is that useful functions you want to share are in packages, which include help files. There is no way to both avoid the package development process and offer help to the user within R. Read the Writing R Extensions document for the most up-to-date information about this process. RStudio has some nice enhancements for making this process a little quicker, but not so much that you can escape reading the documentation I just mentioned. I happen to like using roxygen2 for building help files, but this just means reading even more documentation.

If you are determined to use the source function instead of building a package, then you cannot take advantage of the users' familiarity with the help system. However, you could just put your instructions in comments in your R file and hope they will look there.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing