[R] rbind Missing Something: Need New Eyes

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Feb 1 00:55:01 CET 2013

     I don't see what's missing in my statements to add rows to a data frame
and someone else will probably see what needs to be added to the statements.

   The data frame has this structure (without any data):

  $ PHYLUM     : chr
  $ SUBPHYLUM  : chr
  $ SUPERCLASS : chr
  $ CLASS      : chr
  $ SUBCLASS   : chr
  $ INFRACLASS : chr
  $ SUPERORDER : chr
  $ ORDER      : chr
  $ SUBORDER   : chr
  $ INFRAORDER : chr
  $ SUPERFAMILY: chr
  $ FAMILY     : chr
  $ SUBFAMILY  : chr
  $ TRIBE      : chr
  $ SUBTRIBE   : chr
  $ GENUS      : chr
  $ TAXON      : chr

   One command (all on one line) is:

itis.ttable <- rbind(itis.ttable, data.frame(PHYLUM = "ARTHROPODA",
SUBPHYLUM = "MANDIBULATA", SUPERCLASS = NA, CLASS = "INSECTA", SUBCLASS =
"DICONDYLIA", INFRACLASS = "PTERYGOTA", SUPERORDER = "PANORPIDA", ORDER =
"TRICHOPTERA", SUBORDER = "INTEGRIPALPIA", INFRAORDER = "PLENITENTORIA",
SUPERFAMILY = "LIMNEPHILOIDAE", FAMILY = "LIMNEPHILIDAE", SUBFAMILY =
"LIMNEPHILINAE", TRIBE = "STENOPHYLACINI", SUBTRIBE = NA, GENUS =
"CHYRANDRA", TAXON = "CENTRALIS"))

   R's response is to ask for more input by displaying the continuation
prompt, +.

   What am I not seeing that R needs to add this row to the data frame?

Rich