[R] cumulative incidence for mstate in Survival package in R

Jieyue Li jieyueli82 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 23:04:17 CET 2013

Dear All,

I want to have the cumulative incidence curves for 'mstate' data using
Survival package in R. But I got some problems:
I. Problem 1:
1. If I only use intercept without any covariates, I can have 'right'
cumulative incidence curves (2 for 2 competing risks):
library(Survival)
fitCI <- survfit(Surv(stop, status*as.numeric(event), type="mstate") ~
1,data=mgus1, subset=(start==0))
plot(fitCI)
2. If I include one variate ('sex'), I get 4 curves (attached; I guess
because there are two levels in 'sex' and 2 competing risks):
fitCI <- survfit(Surv(stop, status*as.numeric(event), type="mstate")
~sex,data=mgus1, subset=(start==0))
plot(fitCI)
However, I want to just have 2 cumulative incidence curves estimated from
several covariates (such as 'sex', 'age', 'alb', etc. in mgus1). Could you
please help me to do that? Thank you very much!
II. Problem 2:
I try using an example from sourcecode.pdf:
fit <- survfit(Surv(time, status, type=’mstate’) ~ sex, data=mine)
but where can I have the 'mine' data? Thank you!

Best,

Jieyue