[R] Categorial data analysis

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Thu Dec 26 23:39:07 CET 2013

On 12/25/2013 3:58 AM, Guy Rotem wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to analysis the effect of two continuous independent variables (rain
> and slope) on a categorical dependent variable (soil type).
> Do you know how doing it?

You could look a my short course notes for Visualizing Categorical Data
with SAS and R, http://www.datavis.ca/courses/VCD/,
Section 5, Polytomous response models.  Various possibilities exist,
depending on whether soil type is ordinal or nominal.

Some of the R functions (among others) for fitting these models are:
polr in the MASS package
multinom in the nnet package

HTH
-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept. & Chair, Quantitative Methods