[R] The difference between SAS and R

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 10:00:05 CET 2013

On 20 Dec 2013, at 18:53 , Kevin Wright <kw.stat at gmail.com> wrote:

> SAS uses words.  R uses symbols.
>
> See this:
> http://xkcd.com/1306/
>
> (Yes, I know IML uses plenty of symbols.  It's just supposed to be funny.
> And somewhat true.)

Actually, R is on par with C++ when it comes to _prefixed_ symbols like #missedthepoint, which is what the XKCD strip is about. In terms of general operators, SAS would be approaching COBOL (famous for "ADD YEARS TO AGE" like construct) were it not for the DATA step and the %MACRO language.

(The preceding XKCD (1305) is quite nice, by the way.)