[R] unable to install XML package on Windows7

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 17 10:41:44 CET 2013

Well, on Windows binary packages are available on CRAN.

And get the source package from CRAN, not Omegahat.  CRAN has had to
apply corrections to get package XML to work on Windows.

That said, http://www.omegahat.org/R/src/contrib/XML_3.98-1.tar.gz
downloads and unpacks for me, so the problem seems to be local to you.