[R] Solving a normal distribution pnorm for q

Dániel Kehl kehld at ktk.pte.hu
Thu Dec 12 15:09:24 CET 2013

Looks like homework.

Try ?qnorm
Feladó: r-help-bounces at r-project.org [r-help-bounces at r-project.org] ; meghatalmazó: Johannes Radinger [johannesradinger at gmail.com]
Küldve: 2013. december 12. 14:56
To: R help
Tárgy: [R] Solving a normal distribution pnorm for q

Hi,

I found follwowing example of pnorm here:

http://www.r-tutor.com/elementary-statistics/probability-distributions/normal-distribution

Problem

Assume that the test scores of a college entrance exam fits a normal
distribution. Furthermore, the mean test score is 72, and the standard
deviation is 15.2. What is the percentage of students scoring 84 or more in
the exam?

Solution

> pnorm(84, mean=72, sd=15.2, lower.tail=FALSE)

[1] 0.21492

That is straight forward, however what if I want to know the score the best
30% students are reaching at least. So I know the solution of pnorm but
want to know its q. How can that be achieved in R?

Any suggestions?

/Johannes