[R] Problem with R colors

David Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Mon Dec 9 23:46:55 CET 2013

The full details on the col= argument can be found in the
section titled "Color Specification" on the help page for par -
?par.

Basically, col= accepts color names, hexadecimal RGB, or an
integer designating a position on the current palette. You can
get the current palette using

> palette()
[1] "black"   "red"     "green3"  "blue"    "cyan"    "magenta"
"yellow"
[8] "gray"

Any of these will give you red

col="red"
col="#FF0000"
col=2

You can change the palette colors with the palette() function,
but some graphics functions draw axes, text, etc assuming the
first color in the palette is black so it may be better to
create a vector of the colors you want, eg.

mc <- colors()[c(552, 254, 26)]

and then use

col=mc[1]

David L Carlson