[R] wmf screen resolution problem!!!

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Mon Dec 9 00:11:12 CET 2013

> From:Venkat Karthik [tvkarthik05 at gmail.com]
> We are trying to generate a wmf image with fixed pixels, fixed height &
> fixed width. But the problem we are facing is that when the same code is
> run on a different screen resolution the dimensions of the image are no
> longer the same.

In what medium are you measuring the size of the image?

If you're reading on screen, try reading the help page for ?windows, where it says
   "The size of a window is computed from information provided about
     the display: it depends on the system being configured accurately.
     By default a screen device asks Windows for the number of pixels
     per inch.  This can be overridden (it is often wrong) by
     specifying ‘xpinch’ and ‘ypinch’"
... and rather more.

Broadly, though, you are generating a vector image of defined size in some medium. There is no meaningful pixel count until you use a raster device to display it, and when you do, the size depends entirely on what the device thinks its pixel size is. And it seems that windows is not often right about it.