[R] How to evaluate sequence of strings like this

Peter Alspach Peter.Alspach at plantandfood.co.nz
Sun Dec 8 15:50:26 CET 2013

Tena koe

Try

apply(mydat, 1, paste, collapse='')

HTH ....

Peter Alspach
From: r-help-bounces at r-project.org [r-help-bounces at r-project.org] On Behalf Of kingsly [ecokingsly at yahoo.co.in]
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2013 12:22 AM
To: r-help at r-project.org
Subject: [R] How to evaluate sequence of strings like this

Hello Dear R community,
 This is my problem.  I have a data set (dataframe) called "mydat". It consist of 3 numerical variable.  They are Centrecode, FSUSN and Round. I want to create unique ID by combining these 3 variables.
Follwing commands gives me what I need.

mydat1 <- paste(mydat$Centrecode, mydat$FSUSN,mydat$Round,sep="")
newds <- data.frame(mydat1)

 For a large data set, I don't want to write like this ...    "mydat$Centrecode, mydat$FSUSN,mydat$Round". So,  I tried to automate using following code.

nvar <- paste("mydat","$",names(mydat)[1:3],sep="")
mydat1 <- paste(eval(parse(text=nvar)))
newds <- data.frame(mydat1_u)

I am finding problem in the second line. Please help me.
Thank you for your kind help.