[R] XLConnect readWorksheet comma decimal sign

Martin Studer martin.remo.studer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 08:46:26 CET 2013

Hi,

XLConnect can very well deal with missing values. By default, only
blank cells (cells not containing any values) will be treated as
missing values. Cells containing the text "NA" are not automatically
treated as missing values as "NA" is a valid non-missing text string.
If you want to treat the text "NA" as missing value identifier, you
can use the method setMissingValue.

Generally, XLConnect determines the column type based on the cell
types of the containing cells (yes, Excel cells are typed!).
Therefore, if there are cells with text, XLConnect will decide to read
that column in as text (treating missing value identifiers
accordingly, as described above). You may also use the arguments
colTypes and forceConversion for further controlling how cell values
should be interpreted.

Please see the reference manual for more detailed information.

Regards,
Martin