[R] GotoBLAS2 with multiple cores

Stefan Evert stefanML at collocations.de
Sun Dec 1 16:42:32 CET 2013

Your report sounds somewhat similar to problems I encountered with OpenBLAS on Ubuntu Linux (which is a maintained version of GotoBLAS; I couldn't get the latter to compile properly).

OpenBLAS uses OpenMP for parallelization.  Once linked into R, other OpenMP-based code would only use a single core any more. I have never used foreach, but I can imagine that something similar might be going on.

The workaround I found was to compile OpenBLAS with the setting NO_AFFINITY=1.  In addition, if you're running parallel code, I'd very much recommend to limit the number of threads within each parallel process by setting the OMP_NUM_THREADS environment variable (or in some other way).

Hope this helps,
Stefan