[R] calculate with different columns from different datasets

arun smartpink111 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 29 21:49:29 CEST 2013

res2<-t(t(dat1)-colMeans(dat2))
res2
#            V1 V2         V3
#[1,] -3.333333  3  3.3333333
#[2,] -1.333333  0 -0.6666667
#[3,] -4.333333  6  3.3333333

A.K.

Hi there

I've got two datasets of the following form (just an example, the real dataset got a lot more columns)

dataset1

V1	V2	V3
2	6	8
4	3	4
1	9	8

and dataset 2

V1	 V2	V3
6	8	4
2	0	7
8	1	3

First, I'd like to calculate the following:

V1 from dataset1 minus V1 from dataset2,
than
V2 from dataset1 minus V2 from dataset2
and so on (always Vn-Vn, where n=1,2,....n) and safe the solution-vectors in a new matrix.

Second I'd like to run other functions over the two matching
columns (for example: V1 from dataset1 minus mean(V1) from dataset2, V2
from dataset1 minus mean(V2) from dataset2,...).

So I'm looking for a simple solution that always takes the
matching columns from the different datasets and than I can just change
the function for the two.

Thank you for your help!

Kind regards