[R] how to apply summation sign formula to R

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Aug 27 00:49:48 CEST 2013

On Aug 26, 2013, at 11:59 AM, Sebastian Hersberger wrote:

> Hi David
>
> Thanks for your help.
> I tried it for a simplified example with vectors instead of matrices.
> Once again the formula:
> C = (Σ(from i=0 to i)  A^i ) x B x (Σ(from i=0 to i) A^i )’
>
> I applied it at follows – but couldn’t figure out what’s
> missing:
>
> library(expm)
> i <- c(0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10)
> A <- c(1,2,3)
> B <- 5
> res1 <- Reduce("+", lapply(1:i, function(i) A ^ i) )

I thought I suggested the use of the  %^% operator? Doing A^i is only
going to give you the element-wise values to the i-th power, not the
matrix to the i-th power. (But perhaps that is what you actually
wanted, which was never expalined in the portions of the thread which
I read. And I would have expected A %^% 0 to be I, so it shouldn't
really matter whether the iteration limit was from 0 to 10 or from 1
to 10.)

And you might need to use a final sum( around that Reduce()-ed value
if you were not planning on using matrix multiplication. I thought
this was supposed to be using matrix math. Please explain the purpose
of this effort.

> res2 <- res1 * B
>> res3 <- res2 * t(res1)
>> res3
>      [,1] [,2] [,3]
> [1,]   20   45   80
>

> My expected result must be in this case a single number, which is
> the sum of i=0 to i=10:
> i=0 ⇒ 5
> i=1 ⇒ 1*5*1 + 1*5*2+1*5*3 + 2*5*1+2*5*2 + 2*5*3+3*5*1+3*5*2+3*5*3 =
> 180
> i = 2 ⇒ ........... (=985)
> i=3 ⇒ ....
> i=10 ⇒ =............
>

> After having adjusted the above provided „R-code“: what is
> necessary to get from the „vector-solution“ to the matrix-
> solution“: would it be enough to:
> -	define A and B as matrices
> -	and replace * by %*%  ?

Perhaps also replacing ^ with %^%. Just a guess. I'm unable to
decipher from your still sketchy description what the mathematical
operations are supposed to be or do.

--
David.