[R] First time r user

Steve Lianoglou lianoglou.steve at gene.com
Sun Aug 18 09:35:51 CEST 2013

Hi Paul,

First: please keep your replies on list (use reply-all when replying
to R-help lists) so that others can help but also the lists can be
used as a resource for others.

Now:

On Aug 18, 2013, at 12:20 AM, Paul Bernal <paulbernal07 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can R really handle millions of rows of data?

Yup.

> I thought it was not possible.

Surprise :-)

As I type, I'm working with a ~5.5 million row data.table pretty effortlessly.

Columns matter too, of course -- RAM is RAM, after all and you've got
to be able to fit the whole thing into it if you want to use
data.table. Once loaded, though, data.table enables one to do
split/apply/combine calculations over these data quite efficiently.
The first time I used it, I was honestly blown away.

If you find yourself wanting to work with such data, you could do
worse than read through data.table's vignette and FAQ and give it a
spin.

HTH,

-steve

--