[R] Runtime error using ncdf

Camilo Mora cmora at dal.ca
Sat Aug 17 21:56:19 CEST 2013

HI everyone,

I have encountered a problem while using ncdf to open nc files in R. I
found in the internet several comments in the past but no solution.

I could not find a direct solution but I found the source of the
problem, if anyone may know where the solution could be, and an
indirect solution.

The problem occurs when opening large nc files with the ncdf package
at 64bits. There may be a default setting on how big the files can be
because the file opens just fine in R at 32 bits (I could not use the
32 bit version as very soon my process reached the RAM memory limit).

If of interest to anyone, I ended up splitting my files (making them
smaller than 2GB) using a software call NCO:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2007/1053.html
and then working in R at 64..

Cheers,

Camilo

Camilo Mora, Ph.D.
Department of Geography, University of Hawaii
Currently available in Colombia
Phone:   Country code: 57
          Provider code: 313
          Phone 776 2282