[R] Memory limit on Linux?

Stackpole, Chris chris.stackpole at kc.frb.org
Fri Aug 16 23:02:00 CEST 2013

[snip]
> > In short, we don't have a solution yet to this explicit problem
>
> You may consider this to be an "explicit problem" but it doesn't read like something
> that is "explicit" to me. If you load an object that takes 10GB and then make a
> modification to it, there will be 2 or three versions of it in memory, at least until
> the garbage collector runs. Presumably your external *NIX methods of assessing
> memory use will fail to understand this fact of R-life.

Hrm. Maybe "explicit" was the wrong word. Maybe "specific" would have been a better choice. Sorry.

What I was trying to imply is that we can't replicate this exact same problem with anything else or in any other form but this users particular code/dataset. So the problem is very narrow in scope and related to the user code/dataset and therefore not to R in general. Where this odd behavior is coming from is still undetermined, I have at least narrowed the band of possibilities down significantly.

Thanks!

Chris Stackpole