[R] Problem using a function to produce multiple scatterplots (cars package)

Gerard Smits g_smits at verizon.net
Thu Aug 15 19:10:17 CEST 2013

Hi All,

I have a number of plots to run and was hoping to use a function instead of bock copying my code and retyping my parameters.

I am using R 3.0.0 on a mac.

My code is as follows:

library (car)
cres<-read.csv("//users//smits//r_work//cres.csv", header = TRUE)
attach(cres);

run_plots <- functon()
{
  scatterplot(y~x|z,
    jitter=list(x=1, y=1),
    grid=F,
    smooth=F,
    las=1,
    pch=c(1,2),
    col=c('red','blue'),
    main="Baseline Clinical CRP by RAMRIS Synovitis at Day 113",
    xlab="Baseline CRP",
    ylab="Day 113 Synovitis",
    legend.plot=F)
  legend("bottomright",
     box.lty=0, # line type to surround the legend box (0 for none)
     legend=c("Active+MTX","Placebo+MTX"),
     col=c('red','blue'),
     pch=c(1,2),
     pt.cex=c(1,1,1,1))
}

then I was hoping to execute the function by passing 3 parameters:  run_plots(b_crp, t_synos113, treatment)

This approach follows the way I usually do it with a SAS macro, were I can repeat the innovation over and over using different variables, etc.

Right off the  bat, you can see that I have a problem finding the function "function."  Then it does not recognize the first parameter it comes across.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Gerard

> cres<-read.csv("//users//smits//r_work//cres.csv", header = TRUE)
> attach(cres);
>
> run_plots <- functon()
Error: could not find function "functon"
> {
+   scatterplot(y~x|z,
+     jitter=list(x=1, y=1),
+     grid=F,
+     smooth=F,
+     las=1,
+     pch=c(1,2),
+     col=c('red','blue'),
+     main="Baseline Clinical CRP by RAMRIS Synovitis at Day 113",
+     xlab="Baseline CRP",
+     ylab="Day 113 Synovitis",
+     legend.plot=F)
+   legend("bottomright",
+      box.lty=0, # line type to surround the legend box (0 for none)
+      legend=c("Active+MTX","Placebo+MTX"),
+      col=c('red','blue'),
+      pch=c(1,2),
+      pt.cex=c(1,1,1,1))
+ }
Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : object 'y' not found