[R] Creating DAGS with plate notation in R

Sacha Epskamp mail at sachaepskamp.com
Thu Aug 1 13:11:13 CEST 2013

Here is a way to do it with qgraph. Requires lots of manual placement
though. I have been asked before to write a package to do these kind of
graphics automatically from R given some model. Might do it eventually :)

library("qgraph")

# Placement of nodes:
Layout <- matrix(c(
  1,1,
  2,1,
  3,1,
  4,1,
  3,0),,2,byrow=TRUE)

# Graph structure:
E <- matrix(c(
  1,2,
  2,3,
  3,4,
  5,4),,2,byrow=TRUE)

# Labels:
Lab <-
list(expression(alpha),expression(theta),expression(z),expression(w),expression(beta))

# Colors:
Col <- c(rep("white",4),"gray")

pdf("Model.pdf",width=6, height = 4)
# Open plot:
par(mar=c(0,0,0,0))
plot(1,type="n",xlim=c(0.5,5),ylim=c(-1,3))

# add graph:
qgraph(E, layout = Layout, labels = Lab, color = Col, plot = FALSE,
       rescale = FALSE)

# Add boxes:
rect(1.6,0.4,4.6,2)
rect(2.6, 0.6, 4.4, 1.6  )