[R] double matrix?

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Aug 1 00:00:57 CEST 2013

In R "double" and "numeric" mean essentially the same thing.  I think
you are fine. (What called the result a "double matrix"?)

  > z <- cbind(c("11", "12"), c("3.14", "2.718"))
  > str(z)
   chr [1:2, 1:2] "11" "12" "3.14" "2.718"
  > class(z)
  [1] "matrix"

  > class(z) <- "numeric"
  > str(z)
   num [1:2, 1:2] 11 12 3.14 2.72
  > class(z)
  [1] "matrix"
       [,1]  [,2]
  [1,]   11 3.140
  [2,]   12 2.718
  > log(z)
           [,1]      [,2]
  [1,] 2.397895 1.1442228
  [2,] 2.484907 0.9998963

R "numeric" vectors consist of C "double" or Fortran "double precision"
or "real*8" values - 8 byte double precision floating point numbers with
52 binary digits of precision.

S supported 4-byte single precision vectors which it also considered
"numeric".

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com