[R] path reference problems in R 3.0.0

annoporci annoporci at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 20:02:55 CEST 2013

When I encounter these problems, I usually fix them with the following:

1. take ownership of the directories where the libraries are stored,
here's how I do it on windows:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

2. have an Renviron file store the user's default library path (I store my
library in "C:/R/library"), here's how I do it:

Create an environment file named .Renviron place it in the working
directory or home directory:

"C:/Users/username/Documents"

Query the paths to check that your system is reading the Renviron.site
file.

Some users have reported that the .Renviron file needed to be in
"c:/users/username" instead.

If you're not sure where to place it, save the desktop history and see
where the .Rhistory file is located. Then place your .Renviron file in the
same location. To save history savehistory()

# Windows .Renviron file:
R_LIBS_USER = "C:/R/library"
R_USER = "C:/R"
R_DOC_DIR = "C:/R"
HOME = "C:"

3. make sure that the directories are in the system's PATH

# Set global PATH on Windows

My Computer / Properties / Advanced System Settings / Environment
Variables --> user variables --> Path --> Edit c:\R;c:\R\library;

This is what has worked for me, I hope some of it helps.

Patrick Toche.