[R] How are R version types named ? Any convention (like Hurricanes etc)

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Thu Apr 25 13:23:51 CEST 2013

On 04/25/2013 07:46 PM, Ajay Ohri wrote:
> With reference to R News
>
> News:
>
> R version 3.0.0 (Masked Marvel) has been released on 2013-04-03.
> R version 2.15.3 (Security Blanket) has been released on 2013-03-01
> R version 2.15.2 (Trick or Treat) ....
> R version 2.15.1 ("Roasted Marshmallows") ...
> R version 2.15.0 ("Easter Beagle")
> R version 2.14.0 ("Great Pumpkin")
>
> Dear R help List,
>

> How are these version types named? Masked Marvel comes after Security
> Blanket comes after Trick or Treat comes after Roasted Marshmallows.
> Is it some convention like that for Hurricanes in the West.
>
> It is totally incomprehensible to me as I am in India.

Hi Ajay,
My guess is that these correspond roughly to the levels of enlightenment
that can be attained by mortals. We begin with the being having no
concept of enlightenment. A pumpkin, however great, is as Freud might
have said, only a pumpkin. A beagle, despite its lowly concept of
nirvana, which it considers to be a place full of bones and interesting
things to sniff, has begun to climb that long, long ladder. At first we
might think of a marshmallow as a step backward on the road to supernal
knowledge, but if we consider it as the plight of a being impaled upon a
black birch twig, its essence floating upward with the smoke from the
campfire, it is easy to see that this spasm of suffering is the prelude
to its own spiritual ascent. Trick or treat signifies the problem of the
initiate. So many ways are open, so many promises made. Which way leads
to the goal? The seeker may cast about for a Security Blanket, some
apparently firm basis upon which to regain one's bearings. The Masked
Marvel is the true way, always concealed from all but those who have
cast off the earthly delights of black box statistical packages and
devoted their lives to the study of R. In future versions, we will no
doubt see further occult signs that will lead us in the right direction
if only we remain true to our noble and transcendent mission.

Okay, I think they are mostly from comic book characters.

Jim