[R] Loop for main title in a plot

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Apr 25 07:11:53 CEST 2013

On Apr 24, 2013, at 9:22 PM, Eva Günther wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem in including my plot in a loop. Here is a simple example
> for one plot:
>
> # Plot simple graph with super- and subscript
> a<-c(1,2,3,4)
> b<-c(1,2,3,4)
>
> plot(x=a,y=b,
>    ylab=expression(paste("Apple"["P"])),
>    xlab=expression(paste("Banana"^"th")),
>    main=expression(paste(italic("i-")~"4"^"th"~"choice")))
>
> Now I would like to include the titel (main) as a function of the number of
> trails
> for (trial in 1:nTrials) {
> plot(
>
> main=expression(paste(italic("i-")~"trial"^"th"~"choice")))
>
> }

I have not quite figured out what the exact goal is but this shows how to loop with expression that have evaluated component:  .... bquote is your friend:

for (trial in 1:length(a)) {
    plot(x=a,y=b,   # you were at the very least missing an x and y argument
        main=bquote( italic(i)-.(trial)^th~choice))
                            }

... and you had too many quoted elements. Plotmath `paste` is usually not needed. Learn to use * and ~.

David.